FloodSafe for seniors
People living in our communities who are senior have a wealth of knowledge, information and networks at their disposal when it comes to planning for, responding to and recovering from floods.
Talk to the people who have lived in your area for a long time about the history and impacts of flooding locally. You can gain valuable information from people who have experienced these events in the past.
Sometimes though, the elderly need assistance as well.
All the information on preparing for, responding to and recovering from floods are relevant to elderly people. The only difference is sometimes they may need some further assistance from family, friends and carers in these areas.
The NSW SES in collaboration with the Tweed Shire Council and services in the Tweed region, have developed the Tweed Shire Aged and People Living with a DisabilityFloodSafe Guide. The guide has general information which is useful to all people who are elderly or living with a disability in any location and contains advice including:
- identify your own capabilities and any assistance or support you may require in your Emergency Plan
- remember specific medications or mobility equipment in your planning
- include the contact numbers of any important services, equipment providers or support people, family, friends or neighbours in your FloodSafe Plan
Your Home Emergency Plan contents:
- the Tweed Shire Aged and People Living with a Disability FloodSafe Guide
- a list of your support persons and their contact details
- contact numbers for your care provider and doctor
- instructions on how to turn off your electricity and gas
- a list of what is in your emergency kit and where it is located
- a list of flood free locations of friends, relatives and neighbours that you can go to
- your evacuation plans and information on evacuation routes
- a list of items that need to be raised above floodwater
- a list of dangerous or hazardous items around your house
- instructions on how care will be provided to your pets
- information on where to find the latest weather forecast, Flood Watches, Flood Warnings (other warning products) and SES Flood Bulletins
- a description of any medical issues or disability
- a list of any essential medications or equipment and instructions for their use
- the location of disability related supplies and any special equipment you require
- Learn more about floods
- Simple things you can do to prepare
- How you might be warned
- Local flood information and events
For information on safety for seniors during storms, visit the Seniors page on the NSW SES StormSafe webpages