Home Emergency Plan
One of the most important things you can do now is to plan for future flood events.
Your Home Emergency Plan
The NSW SES has developed an online Home Emergency Plan which is an interactive tool households can use to plan for floods, storms and tsunami. The plan asks simple questions about where you live and who you may be responsible for. Based on your responses, action lists of what can be done now, just before, during and after floods, storms and tsunami are created.
The Home Emergency Plan then offers you an editable version you can save on to your own computer. This version can be edited to suit your situation, family, household and responsibilities. Every part of the Home Emergency Plan is editable. This means you can:
- Create check lists
- Order actions in terms of priority
- Create separate plans for different hazards
- Include other hazards in this plan (bushfire, earthquake, etc.)
- Develop specific plans for other members of your family (children, elderly, people living with a disability)
Go to the Home Emergency Plan now to complete your plan. Download the Word document version and edit this plan so that it is relevant to your household needs.
NSW SES Home Emergency Plan
Some information about making your Home Emergency Plan:
- The Home Emergency Plan will ask you a few questions about where you live
- These questions will help build a framework for your Home Emergency Plan
- You can move backwards or forwards through the builder by clicking on the arrows at the right or left of the main image
- Select the appropriate response and move through the Steps to develop your Home Emergency Plan
- There are information pages and icons throughout the steps to help you complete your plan
- At the end you can email your plan or download a pdf or Word version. By downloading a word version, you can customise and edit your plan to suit your home situation
- Although the focus of the Home Emergency Plan is on preparing for, responding to and recovering from floods, storms and tsunami, there are referrals throughout the plan to fire related services where you can supplement this plan with fire related plans for your home
Hard Copy Home FloodSafe Toolkits
Hard copy Home FloodSafe Toolkits are also available for high flood risk residential properties. The toolkits cover areas susceptible to riverine and flash floods.
- Home FloodSafe Toolkit Introductory Letter (coming soon)
- Riverine Home FloodSafe Toolkit
- Flash Flood Home FloodSafe Toolkit
The toolkit packages include a waterproof wallet, introductory letter from the NSW SES Commissioner Adam Dent, a FloodSafe flip chart, a NSW SES 132 500 fridge magnet, a Home Emergency Kit magnet and a FloodSafe Guide.
The toolkits are available from your local NSW SES unit or Region Headquarters.